It’s one million percent the most wonderful time of the year. November/December time is when I come alive, this year feels so much more special now that we are finally in our house. I have decided to participate in Blogmas for the first time in 6 years. I was going to try to post everyday, but with working a full-time job as well as blogging, it was proving too hard. So I am sticking to at least 3 times a week! If I can squeeze some more posts in I most definitely will! I felt the first post just had to be my super easy gingerbread cookie recipe, as its all I have been making for the last 2 months.
Anyone who knows me knows my two favourite things are baking and Christmas – So I am really in my element when baking Christmas goodies. These are an absolute classic and they’re so easy to make.
- Rolling pin
- cookie cutters
- white icing pen
- 200g plain flour (and extra for dusting worktops)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsps ground ginger
- 60g unsalted butter
- 87g light brown sugar
- 3 tbsps golden syrup
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven to 190°C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices all in a bowl
- Add the butter into the bowl in cubes
- Rub the ingredients together in your fingers until they resemble breadcrumbs
- add the sugar into the breadcrumb mixture
- Add the egg and golden syrup- mix with your hands to combine into a dough- if the dough is really wet, add a bit more flour in. You want it to be dry enough that you can roll it out, but not too dry that it is flakey
- Place onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out until 0.5cm thick. Using your cutters, cut out your desired cookie shapes
- Place onto baking tray and bake for 8-11 minutes (8 for doughy, cake-like gingerbread. 11 for more biscuit-like)
- Once cooked, place onto a cooking rack – ensure they are fully cooled before icing. TIP: sit your icing pens in hot water for a couple of minutes before icing.
These were so much fun to make and would make a cute at home date night idea or a fun activity with kids. I spent hours sitting and decorating them!